Approximate ingredients for a 16oz jar:
- One clean jar (pasta sauce or ball jars work well)
- Apple cider vinegar (enough to fill the jar)
- Juice and zest from 2 lemons
- 2 bulbs garlic
- 1 ginger root about palm size (or equivalent)
- 1 horseradish root
- 2-4 turmeric roots (optional)
- Chili peppers (use what you like, habanero for really hot, jalapeno for less hot, larger hot peppers for more mild, etc)
- Onions (optional)
- Fresh herbs (I like Thyme & Oregano for their antibacterial properties)
- Honey (optional)
Finely chop garlic. Peel and finely chop or grate ginger, turmeric, and
Finely chops herbs, and onion. You can use a food
processor, blender or just chop the old- fashioned way. Slice the
peppers into rounds if using fresh. Zest and squeeze the juice of both lemons.
Place all ingredients into a jar and cover with apple cider vinegar.
If adding honey, add all ingredients into a small pan and gently heat to a low
Once your concoction has reached a simmer, turn off the heat and add
honey to taste.
Return mixture to jar, cover tightly and label clearly. Allow to steep
for 2-8 weeks, shaking occasionally to encourage mixing. You may
then either strain the liquid off and discard the marc or just leave it
as is and use as needed.