- 1 cup canned, cooked chickpeas, drained, reserve 2 tbsp liquid
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp onion, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp ground chia
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 slice sourdough, whole grain or gluten-free bread, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp spelt flour or brown rice flour
- Olive oil, for frying
- Place the reserved chickpea liquid in a small bowl with the cream of tartar and whisk until thick.
- Mix the parsley, lemon juice and mustard with the chia and water. Add the bread pieces and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mash the chickpeas and add to the bread mixture.
- Fold in the whipped liquid. Mix together and the squeeze out the liquid.
- Form into two, 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Place on a plate, cover and chill for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet and add oil. Dredge the patties in the flour (add a pinch of salt).
- Place the patties in the oil and fry for about 3 minutes. Flip the patties over and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Place patties in baking dish and bake for another 5 minutes.