Snack or a side? You decide!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped
- 1 14 oz can salt-free diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 10-12 black olives, drained and chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup fresh pineapple cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Organic corn chips
- Optional: 1 cup canned, cooked Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed)
Sauté the onions with the olive oil in a medium frying pan until slightly translucent. Add the tomatoes, honey, garlic, and oregano. Continue to cook on medium heat. If using, add the beans and cook until heated. Remove from the heat and add the olives and pineapple. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Place the mixture in the centre of a plate and place the corn chips around it. Serve while still warm.
- If the pineapple in the recipe does not appeal to you, then eat if just before the meal or just after to get the digestive benefit. Mango or papaya will also work in this recipe.
- If corn chips are not your thing, then try whole grain pita chips or your favorite whole grain cracker.
- If you want to consume some raw garlic, then only use one clove while cooking and add the other when the mixture has finished cooking on the stove, at the same times as the black olives and pineapple.
- Fun fact: Olives are green first and then ripen to become black olives.